Sunday, June 19, 2005

Conflicting experiences

I should have known that everybody in the family would not be as excited as I'd hoped when we went to see the model home. I thought that they might imagine what our house will eventually be like, but instead they bickered over rooms. “Why does he get the biggest room? Why can’t I have the room closest to yours? Why do I have to share a bathroom?” Oy.

This is an important lesson for us. Not everybody in the family is going share the same level of excitement. Mitchell said something that made sense to me. He said that moving is so far off that he just doesn’t want to think about it yet. We’re going to have to save our excitement for the final reveal.

The next step is to begin to choose cabinets, counter tops and flooring. We will go to the design center in about a month. They’ve sent a list of choices, but there are no pictures or prices. Since the family room and kitchen are so connected, we have to make these decisions all together.

The never ending debate about how much work to put into this house goes on. I am always in favor of doing more, and Brad is always in favor of just knocking a few bucks off the price and letting the new homeowners worry about it. Still, we press on. We are painting as much as possible. There are only six weeks between now and when I start my internship, so even though selling is still several months away, my free time is dwindling.

Dirt update: They’ve framed up the future foundation for the house next door.

No comments: